Tuesday, January 8, 2008

CD Review

Moros Eros - Jealous Me Was Killed By Curiosity (Victory)

I had been waiting for this follow up CD from Moros Eros ever since I got into their first Victory release in 2006 (I saw the devil last night and now the sun shines bright). When I got word that the new album had been released, I excitedly ran out to the store only to find out nobody had it. I ended up buying it on i-tunes and missed out on the liner notes and lyrics etc. but after three months of looking for it in my local shops, I was happy just to hear it.
The new disc lived up to my expectations. Zach Tiptons voice is the first thing that draws me to this band. I love singers who can naturally hit high notes that I could never dream of hitting, (then again I can't sing for shit anyways so its even funnier for me to sing along to this disc).
Part Cedric Bixler and part Robert Smith at times, Tipton delivers his stories, questions, assumptions, and fears about what the afterlife holds for us with an obviously instinctive emotion of a young man. Its all him, no faking or mimicking anyone else. And this emotion only adds to the color of the words. "I'm a sinner, you're a saint, in gods eyes, we're both the same" or "See the angels in the sky, they'll take you home when you die". He's afraid to upset a god which he's not sure even exists and the whole cd pretty much rides on this theme. While listening you find yourself wondering the same things he's wondering.
Musically, the production was stepped up a notch from their first release. They're right up there with the complexity and break downs you'd hear from At The Drive-In, with the occasional electronic gadgetry that comes out of nowhere but fits just fine. Song 3, "Chokes" is my current fave on the the disc, and it has a cool Sabbath meets Mars Volta feel about it.
Moros, by the way is Greek for impending doom, and Eros means God of Love. It all makes sense now. I hope this band finds success because I'm guessing one or two more releases that can't be found in stores will lead them to oblivion or impending doom.